TEARS FOR A LIFETIME (EPISODE 9): ‘MONKEY DEY WORK , BABOON DEY CHOP ’


After that night, I began to spend most nights with Jide in his room. I would wait until Kemi had gone to sleep and then I would go to his room and we’d be together till sometime in the morning when I had to go back so that Kemi wouldn’t have to look for me. Sometime before Aunty Toyosi was to come back, Jide was telling me that we had to change the arrangements and stay away from each other when she was around. He bought me a phone so that we could communicate at any time. I told him to promise that he wouldn’t abandon me and he promised that nothing was going to change between us.He said that it was so easy to mess up everything if we didn’t take care.


That fateful day, I was with him until he had to go pick her up. She was back and everything seemed normal or we tried to make everything seem that way. I forgot to put the phone on silent as Jide told me and the phone began ringing as I was serving lunch at the dining table. Aunty Toyosi was sitting right at the dining table. I knew it had to be Jide as he was the only one who had the number. Aunt Toyosi said nothing; maybe she needed to be sure that she heard right. The phone rang out loud again; this time, it couldn’t be mistaken. There was a phone in my pocket and it was ringing. Oh, I remember that day clearly. I was so scared I couldn’t move.


She looked at me with as much hate in her eyes as usual. ‘Rita, where did you get a phone from?’ I was shaking ‘Ehn, Aunty?’ She stood up, put her hand in my pocket and brought out the phone. ‘I SAID WHERE DID YOU GET A PHONE FROM?’ I took a step back ‘Aunty, It was… Em… I didn’t’. All of a sudden, I received a resounding slap. ‘Ehn ehnnn. So this is what you were doing while I was gone. Hei. So, Rita you’re now following men abi?’ ‘Aunty?’ ‘Shut your dirty mouth up. Who is your Aunty? Yess. Or else how can you have such an expensive phone in your pocket? Wait. Except you’re been stealing from my husband and I. Yes! You’re a thief!’ Another tight slap and I fell to the floor ‘Aunty, nooo. No. I have never stolen anything in my life, I swear. It’s not…’ I felt a hand grab me up gently.


It was Jide. He looked at me and he wiped my tears. ‘Are you ok?’ He asked. ‘Y-yes, I’m okay Uncle’. He turned to his wife. ‘How can you be slapping this girl for no reason at all? Could you not wait to ask me if I knew about the phone before concluding and accusing her?’ There was shock evident on her face. ‘Ehn? So, you got her a phone and you didn’t tell me about it? This expensive phone for this little rat?’ He tried to explain ‘Come on, Toyosi! It’s not that expensive. Besides, she’s of age. Kids her age have phones and where we can afford it, why not?’


She looked from him to me and said ‘I leave for two weeks and I come back to a new phone that I was not informed about. Hmmn. Who knows what else has been given away?’ She looked at me hatefully and said ‘Monkey dey work, Baboon dey chop’ and she walked away. Jide followed her saying ‘Toyosi, listen. Why do you always overreact?’ I just stood by the dining table dealing with guilt.


To read previous episodes click here •••>> "http://lovedoctorkollar.blogspot.com"

πŸ‘‰ Also Read: Some Exes Never Die – They Just Haunt You

Comments

Popular Posts