TEARS FOR A LIFETIME (EPISODE 10): PROMISES ARE EASY TO MAKE AND EASY TO BREAK
It was like that day had given Aunty Toyosi all the reason in the world to hate me. She became ten times worse than she had ever been and even Jide couldn’t save me because he wasn’t going to be around all the time. A week later, the hatred and the malice had become too much for me so I went into Jide’s room that night to tell him that I had to give the phone to Aunt Toyosi so she could get off my back. He wouldn’t have it. He said he needed a way to communicate with me whenever he needed to or else our love would be exposed. Yes, he said ‘our love’. He promised that he would speak to her and Aunt Toyosi wouldn’t bother me. Of course, I couldn’t say no to him even when I knew that it was not going to change anything whatsoever.
Jide was to leave for a project for two weeks so we had just three days together. He would leave the house in the morning and when Aunt Toyosi left for the shop, he’ll come back and tell Kemi that he needed to revise my school work with me and we needed quiet and well, you know. In the nights, he would call me when he was sure that Aunt Toyosi had gone to bed so that we could be together again. This happened for those three days until he left for Kano on the 23rd. I wasn’t happy that he wouldn’t get to spend Christmas with us.
While he was away, he called me more than two times a day. I was just so loved by Jide that little things like giving me food without meat or making me do my chores all over because I didn’t ‘do it right’ the first time (and all the other things Aunt Toyosi tried to do to frustrate me) didn’t mean anything to me. I didn’t feel them. Jide loved me and that was all that mattered at that time. On Christmas day, one of Jide’s colleagues – Mr. Peter came home to drop off gifts for all of us. He got me candy, clothes and a pair of shoes. He got Kemi about the same. Aunt Toyosi was very excited when she saw the jewelry set, shoes and bag that he bought for her exclaiming that she had been asking for it for so long.
She called him to show her appreciation. Few minutes later, while she was talking to Jide, I got a text from him to follow Mr. Peter outside. I did and Mr. Peter gave me another gift that he said Jide asked that he drop it off with me. I snuck it into the house immediately as Aunty Toyosi was chatting happily with her friend on the phone. When I opened it up, I saw a beautiful gold bracelet with the receipt. It cost 10,000 naira. I was just about to call Jide when he called me. He said ‘Read what it says on the inside.’ I did. It said ‘I will always love you, Rita’. I remember that I broke down crying. I didn’t think a mere ‘Thank you’ was enough to show this man how much I loved him.
I remember clearly that I was so overwhelmed with feeling. He said ‘Rita, this is what it feels like to be loved and I promise that you will never know sadness again.’ I believed his every promise and every word but promises are easy to make and easy to break and words; words are easily spoken.
To read previous episodes click here •••>> "http://lovedoctorkollar.blogspot.com"
It was like that day had given Aunty Toyosi all the reason in the world to hate me. She became ten times worse than she had ever been and even Jide couldn’t save me because he wasn’t going to be around all the time. A week later, the hatred and the malice had become too much for me so I went into Jide’s room that night to tell him that I had to give the phone to Aunt Toyosi so she could get off my back. He wouldn’t have it. He said he needed a way to communicate with me whenever he needed to or else our love would be exposed. Yes, he said ‘our love’. He promised that he would speak to her and Aunt Toyosi wouldn’t bother me. Of course, I couldn’t say no to him even when I knew that it was not going to change anything whatsoever.
Jide was to leave for a project for two weeks so we had just three days together. He would leave the house in the morning and when Aunt Toyosi left for the shop, he’ll come back and tell Kemi that he needed to revise my school work with me and we needed quiet and well, you know. In the nights, he would call me when he was sure that Aunt Toyosi had gone to bed so that we could be together again. This happened for those three days until he left for Kano on the 23rd. I wasn’t happy that he wouldn’t get to spend Christmas with us.
While he was away, he called me more than two times a day. I was just so loved by Jide that little things like giving me food without meat or making me do my chores all over because I didn’t ‘do it right’ the first time (and all the other things Aunt Toyosi tried to do to frustrate me) didn’t mean anything to me. I didn’t feel them. Jide loved me and that was all that mattered at that time. On Christmas day, one of Jide’s colleagues – Mr. Peter came home to drop off gifts for all of us. He got me candy, clothes and a pair of shoes. He got Kemi about the same. Aunt Toyosi was very excited when she saw the jewelry set, shoes and bag that he bought for her exclaiming that she had been asking for it for so long.
She called him to show her appreciation. Few minutes later, while she was talking to Jide, I got a text from him to follow Mr. Peter outside. I did and Mr. Peter gave me another gift that he said Jide asked that he drop it off with me. I snuck it into the house immediately as Aunty Toyosi was chatting happily with her friend on the phone. When I opened it up, I saw a beautiful gold bracelet with the receipt. It cost 10,000 naira. I was just about to call Jide when he called me. He said ‘Read what it says on the inside.’ I did. It said ‘I will always love you, Rita’. I remember that I broke down crying. I didn’t think a mere ‘Thank you’ was enough to show this man how much I loved him.
I remember clearly that I was so overwhelmed with feeling. He said ‘Rita, this is what it feels like to be loved and I promise that you will never know sadness again.’ I believed his every promise and every word but promises are easy to make and easy to break and words; words are easily spoken.
To read previous episodes click here •••>> "http://lovedoctorkollar.blogspot.com"


Comments
Post a Comment